There is currently an opportunity for an experienced Laboratory Technician to join the Experimental Services team at S & C Thermofluids, to help manage the company's test sites.
S & C Thermofluids Ltd provides research and engineering solutions to thermofluid and fluid dynamics challenges across a range of sectors, utilising a combination of analytical and experimental tools. The experimental facilities are situated across the South West of England, and range from small-scale compressed air systems and liquid flow rigs to full-scale aerospace jet engines such as the Adour Mk104. The company designs and builds test rigs which are fitted to the flow supply and data is gathered on its aerothermal performance. As such there is a large amount of test, logging and control systems equipment which needs to be maintained. In addition the sites themselves require a level of management in terms of health and safety, stock control and access.
The post would suit a versatile person who must be experienced in maintaining and installing a variety of test house equipment. The ideal candidate will be flexible and keen to learn new skills in a wide range of practical areas. Training will be provided in areas where the applicant's experience is low. In particular it is not expected that candidates will have practical knowledge of aero engines.
Qualified candidates will be able to display strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills in a laboratory or test house environment, and strong analog, video, mechanical and electronics skills. The candidate should have the ability to work both independently on specific projects and as part of a team assisting with all aspects of general engineering.
It is expected that a successful candidate would be able to travel to all S&C's laboratories, although the majority of the work will be based at the company's Head Office near Bath.
Duties to include, not exclusively:
- Management of laboratory sites and equipment including health and safety and quality management through ISO 9001
- Installing, debugging and maintaining electronic test equipment on engine rigs
- Designing, ordering parts and building control panels for engine rigs and other projects
- Assisting in the build of test rigs - mechanical and electrical components
- Various site maintenance duties including services and keyholding
- Design, installation, maintenance and repair of mains and three phase electrical systems an advantage
Skills and attributes
- Laboratory or test house experience
- Ability to multi-task and apply knowledge to new environments
- Must be mechanically inclined; able to use hand tools, perform manual assembly
- Basic computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Access
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation
- UK National
- Interest in aerospace industry
- Electrical engineering skills/qualification
Duration: Full-time for a trial period of 3 months, with the potential for a permanent position.
Hours: Flexible working hours possible around a core period of 10am-4pm daily
Salary: competitive, dependent upon experience and current pay levels.
The role is available for an immediate start date.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter to Tony Smith, Director of S & C Thermofluids.