There is currently an opportunity for a Laboratory Electronics Technician to join the Experimental Services team at S & C Thermofluids, to help manage the company's test sites.
S & C Thermofluids Ltd provides research and engineering solutions to thermofluid and fluid dynamics challenges across a range of sectors. The company utilises analytical and experimental tools to develop engineering products and systems. The Head Office is in Bath and the main test facility is near Cirencester, and it is expected that a successful candidate will work at both these sites.
The experimental facilities range from small-scale compressed air systems and liquid flow rigs to full-scale aerospace jet engines such as the Adour Mk104. The company designs and builds test rigs which are fitted to the flow supply and data is gathered on its aerothermal performance. As such there is a large amount of test, logging and control systems equipment which needs to be maintained. In addition the sites themselves require a level of management in terms of health and safety, stock control and access.
Successful candidates would become involved in work across the range of experimental activities, although a direct knowledge of aero engines is not expected.
We are looking for a multiskilled laboratory technician with an understanding of electronics and electrical wiring to join the small team at S & C Thermofluids to help manage the company’s test sites.
It is important to note that the requirements of the company for the person filling this role are varied. The ideal candidate will be flexible and keen to learn new skills in a wide range of practical areas.
Qualified candidates will be able to display strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills in a laboratory or test house environment, and strong mechanical, electronics and AV skills.
Duties to include, not exclusively:
• Management of laboratory sites and equipment including health and safety and quality management through ISO 9001
• Installing, maintaining and calibrating electronic test equipment on test rigs, including transducers, thermocouples, flowmeters
• Designing, ordering parts and building control panels for engine rigs and other projects e.g. tachos, thermocouples, voltmeters
• Reading wiring diagrams and engineering drawings
• Assisting in the build of test rigs – mechanical and electrical components
• Various site maintenance duties including services and keyholding
Skills and attributes
• Laboratory or test house experience
• Ability to multi-task and apply knowledge to new environments
• Must be mechanically inclined; able to use hand tools, perform manual assembly
• Basic computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Access
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
• UK National
• Interest in aerospace industry
• Portable Appliance Testing experience/qualification
• Relevant electronics qualification
• Equipment calibration experience
• Design, installation, maintenance and repair of mains and three phase electrical systems
Duration: Full-time for a trial period of 3 months, with the potential for a permanent position.
Hours: Flexible working hours possible around a core period of 10am-4pm daily
Salary: competitive, dependent upon experience and current pay levels.
The role is available for an immediate start date.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter to Tony Smith, Director of S & C Thermofluids.