There is currently an opportunity for a Fluid Dynamics Engineer to join the team at S & C Thermofluids.
S & C Thermofluids Ltd provides research and engineering solutions to thermofluid and fluid dynamics challenges across a range of sectors. The company utilises analytical and experimental tools to develop engineering products and systems. The Head Office is in Bath and it is expected that a successful candidate will primarily work at this site, although there will be some travel to the main test facility near Cirencester.
The majority of the analytical work is performed using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). S & C holds licences in Pointwise for mesh generation, ANSYS Fluent for solving, and uses a range of post-processing techniques. The flow regimes have thermal aspects as well as purely aerodynamic applications.
S & C Thermofluids performs a significant amount of aerothermal research for the aerospace industry, with both commercial and military applications. However any fluid flow and heat transfer systems can be considered, and previous work has included marine propulsion, chemical engineering, food and beverage production, and medical devices. S & C engineers are expected to be able to apply their knowledge to a range of problems.
We are looking for a qualified research engineer to join the small team at S & C Thermofluids.
Suitable candidates will be able to display a clear understanding of the factors affecting fluid flow and heat transfer, and have at least two years' experience post university in setting up and solving computational fluid dynamics models.
In addition the engineer will be able to demonstrate competence with CAD packages to produce test rig designs which take both fluid flow and mechanical build considerations into account.
An understanding of, or experience in, the design and programming of control systems is desirable but not essential.
It is important to note that the requirements of the company for the person filling this role are varied. The ideal candidate will be flexible and keen to apply their existing skills to new areas, as well as learn new techniques.
The role will be based at S&C's Head Office at The Old Tannery, Kelston, Bath BA1 9AN, although there will be some travel to the company's test site near Cirencester and therefore a full clean driver's licence is necessary.
Duties to include, not exclusively:
- Importing CAD geometries and creating meshes appropriate for CFD
- Calculating boundary conditions and converging CFD solutions
- Writing technical reports
- Presenting results to customers
- Producing technical drawings in CAD
- Liaising with suppliers to arrange the manufacture of test articles
- Instrumenting a test article for trials
- Running a test programme and gathering flow data
Skills and attributes
- 2 years' experience in ANSYS Fluent
- Confidence in meshing techniques
- 2 years' experience with CAD packages for mechanical design
- Trials/practical experiment experience
- Ability to self-manage workloads
- Clear problem solving skills
- Relevant undergraduate degree
- Full clean UK driver's licence
- UK National
- Confidence in Pointwise meshing
- Experience in the design, build and operation of analogue or digital control systems
- Relevant engineering post-graduate degree
- Interets in current and future aerospace technologies
Hours: Full-time for a trial period of 3 months, with the potential for a permanent position.
Flexible work hours possible totalling 37.5 hour week, around a core period of 10am-4pm daily.
Salary: competitive, dependent upon experience and current pay levels.
The role is available for an immediate start date.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter to Tony Smith, Director of S & C Thermofluids Ltd.